Latest Updated Press Release-Appointment of National Commission for Child Protection
Fri, 05 January 2018
President Danny Faure has today announced the composition of the National Commission for Child Protection, in accordance with Section 3A of the Children Act.
The functions of the Commission are to (a) advise the Minister on matters of policy relating to child protection; (b) recommend policies and procedures for the review and coordination of activities of various bodies concerned with child protection; and (c) inquire into, and report or advise on, matters referred to it by the Minister.
The Chairperson of the Commission will be Dr Erna Athanasius.
The Vice-Chairperson will be Mrs Linda William, Principal Secretary for Social Affairs.
The other Members of the Commission are as follows:
· Attorney-General – Mr Frank Ally
· Commissioner of Police – Mr Kishnan Labonte
· Judge of the Supreme Court – Miss Laura Pillay
· Principal Secretary (Early Childhood, Primary & Secondary Education) – Ms Odile Decomarmond
· Principal Secretary (Health) – Dr Bernard Valentin
· Principal Secretary (Family Affairs) – Mrs Marie-Josée Bonne
· Public Health Commissioner – Dr Jude Gédéon
· Chief Executive Officer (NCC) – Mr Jean-Claude Matombe
· Director (CARE) – Mrs Noella Gonthier
· Chief Executive Officer (IECD) – Mrs Shirley Choppy
· Chief Executive Officer (Children's Home Foundation) – Mr Jules Hoareau
· CEPS Representative– Ms Francoise Larue
· Director Social Services
· Senior Legal Officer (Social Services) – MIss Michelle Marguerite
The appointments to the Commission are for a period of 2 years beginning 5th January 2018.